Friday, October 24, 2008


On one of our final days at Kure Atoll, I tagged along with Jake on an algae collection dive.  Shortly into the dive we ran into two Hawaiian Grouper (Epinephelus quernus) just as curious about us as we were about them.  These inquisitive fish are rare in the Main Hawaiian Islands (they taste good) but are more common in the more remote Northwesterns.  I have always loved grouper, both here an during my previous time in Florida.  On numerous dives they have followed me around for hours, like a long-time pet, looking at what I am looking at, peeking under rocks I turn over and providing company.  I have always wondered what was going on behind those huge, knowing eyes.  This guy was no different.  We sat, eye-to-eye for nearly ten minutes before I had to head off to follow Jake to find more algae.  I turned around nearly half and hour and hundred of yards later, and guess who was still behind me...

No comments: